Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis

Welcome!

I started this blog in 2010 as I began the process of figuring out how to have a more passion-filled life, leaving my corporate job in search of something more fulfilling. It felt like a giant push on my life's restart button and I wanted to share my journey. The road on that journey has taken a few unforeseen twists and turns, first colon cancer then recovering from alcoholism. The journey continues, I hope you'll join me from time to time as I share my travels to that passion-filled life that still calls to me.



Monday, May 13, 2013

What a day ...

Started out taking my car in very early to the dealer for service, and while there I found out my ex-husband's younger brother, about my age, passed away.  What a bunch of emotions that brought up ,,, I remember Jerry fondly (I've been divorced for about 8 years now), he was a very gentle, sensitive, sweet soul and we got along great, which I can't say for all my husband's siblings.  So I was remembering him, and feeling so sad that he's gone so soon.  He was a heavy drinker when I knew him, and while I don't know the reason for his passing, my suspicion is that booze played a part.  He had two sons, late teens/early 20's, and I can well imagine how they're feeling.  My own father died when I was 14, and it was rough to put it mildly. 

And I was also feeling very sad, once again, for the failure of my marriage, as memories of those days came flooding into my mind.  Since I had a rental car, and no particular plans for the day, after I hit an AA meeting, I just started driving.  It's such a beautiful spring day here, high 70's, a few big puffy clouds in the sky and my rental was an excellent host for this excursion.  My tears eventually stopped and I just let my mind wander, listening first to music and then an audiobook on my iPod.  At one point I just became very aware of how blessed I am, and how grateful I felt in that moment to be where I was, doing what I was doing, feeling everything honestly, no booze.  Make no mistake, the old me would have gone straight to a bar and spent a good deal of time there, before THEN getting in my car and driving around ,,, OR I would have bought a chilled bottle of wine and drove around all day drinking it.  Sad, but very true. 

Another couple things I didn't do today that I would have done before are around food and shopping.  At one point I stopped for a bathroom break, went inside the mini-mart and bought a bag of almonds and a bottle of water.  Traditionally my road snacks have been crunchy Cheetos, mini choc donuts and a diet dr pepper.  I know, real healthy huh?! lol, but nope, not today.  And then I decided to stop at one of my favorite dress shops, and despite seeing all kinds of things I would love having, (not necessarily wearing though, just having, as is my habit to date), I only bought two things for a total of $40.  I didn't feel any of the crazy, out of control, need-to-numb feelings that have so often accompanied my drinking, eating and shopping in the past.  It was pretty awesome, and I'm pretty exhausted. 

2 comments:

  1. Alli-

    I've read through your blog and can appreciate the struggle with alcohol you are engaged in currently. It sounds like this is a new decision for you, and there are some days you question your decision. i offer this... please stick with it! You have made the right decision BEFORE you end up with consequences like I had. It took an accident, totalled truck, going to detox, then jail for awhile, lost job, therapy, interlock devices, two years of probation officers and pissing randomly, and tons of money for me to learn my lesson with alcohol. Please hang in there and realize you have made a smart choice for yourself. Best of luck!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, thank you for your words of encouragement, strength and hope, I appreciate it. Sounds like you have had a pretty hard road, but I pray that you too are "sticking with it". All my best, and thank you for reading my blog and taking time to reach out.
      Allita

      Delete