Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis

Welcome!

I started this blog in 2010 as I began the process of figuring out how to have a more passion-filled life, leaving my corporate job in search of something more fulfilling. It felt like a giant push on my life's restart button and I wanted to share my journey. The road on that journey has taken a few unforeseen twists and turns, first colon cancer then recovering from alcoholism. The journey continues, I hope you'll join me from time to time as I share my travels to that passion-filled life that still calls to me.



Sunday, February 23, 2014

2014 Update

So once again, haven't been here in a while.  On the off chance anyone is reading this, here's a brief update of what's been happening in my life since September (that I can remember lol).

*  I turned 51 last October 29th and to celebrate I had an alcohol-free Origami Owl jewelry party at my house lol.  It was low key on purpose and it was perfect.  I was 9 months sober at that time and feeling pretty good.

*  Thanksgiving was totally different and beautiful. I spent the day with other sober folks, eating & watching football.  Was home in bed by 9, not having over eaten or drank, and it was just so calm, warm and truly peaceful.

*  In November I traveled to Washington DC twice, both for colon cancer awareness & advocacy events which were paid for (love that!).  Got to meet some of the people I share an online support group with, which I loved.  And hadn't been to DC before at all, so went to a few museums and got to see (and put my hand on) the Vietnam Memorial wall.  That was beyond powerful, it left me speechless.  Then went to the Holocaust Museum, which was honestly a big mistake for sensitive me, it was over powering, a totally different emotion than powerful.  Took me a few weeks and some tears to shake that feeling.  But the good news is I didn't feel the need to drink on either trip, and I also didn't eat anything that would upset the still-precarious balance in my digestive system that has been HARD fought.

*  I've now lost about 35-40 pounds since December 2012, feel fantastic and maybe even better than I felt before cancer.  I had some food sensitivity testing done last year and that helped a LOT.  So now, I eat mostly a paleo-type diet ,,, no grains(except occasionally a little gluten free oatmeal), dairy or sugar.  I also don't eat much red meat and mostly only cooked veggies (vs raw, not pretty).

*  The holidays were somewhat uneventful, in a good way, and quiet (which I'm learning to really love & value versus feeling restless).

*  Most importantly, on January 7th I celebrated 365 days of continuous sobriety.  It was, and is amazing, to see how much I have changed, how my life has changed (and keeps changing) and how much better my body is without alcohol in it.  I now have a sponsee that I'm beginning to work with, and she's a blessing.  I think the biggest lesson I am learning about life is that it runs a lot smoother when we can at least try to meet people where they are, and accept who THEY are, not who WE want/need them to be, which in my experience never works.

*  Still letting God run the show on all fronts, including what I'm supposed to do work-wise, going forward.  But He is beginning to give me glimpses of what He has in store for me.  I had a phone interview the other day with Chris 4 Life, a colorectal cancer education & advocacy group, who is adding some part time positions sometime this summer.  A little ambivalent about that, but it will be what it's meant to be.  I'm also going to be writing a book, due out in April, which is an anthology with about 20+ other women, titled "Empowerment for a Woman's Soul" in which I'll be contributing a chapter.  SO excited to be collaborating with these amazing, inspiring women, and I'll end up with bragging rights to say "I'm published".  Too too cool!!

*  Continuing to remind myself that life is a daily gig, that's all we get, this 24 hours (and sometimes not even that).   Choosing to stay in the present moment, focus on "be"ing versus "do"ing, and keep surrendering, accepting and most of all, and this is huge, learning to accept & love myself for just who I am.  Perfectly imperfect, flawlessly flawed and just how God wants me to be.

Thanks for reading!  Blessings xo

4 comments:

  1. Very nice to read all the good news. There is at least one person checking in to read from time to time!

    Sounds like your settling into a nice rhythm and relaxing a bit. You should be VERY proud of yourself... the discipline, the courage, the perseverance... all very difficult to juggle daily.

    Way to go!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, I'm glad to know someone is listening :-)

      Delete
  2. You've made it clear in the past that we aren't, and never were, friends. Given we're both in a similar boat... recovering from alcohol abuse/misuse/dependence, I'd like to be able to stay in touch (at least via email) to offer support and encouragement.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you please private message me: aparlette62@comcast.net.

      Delete