Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis

Welcome!

I started this blog in 2010 as I began the process of figuring out how to have a more passion-filled life, leaving my corporate job in search of something more fulfilling. It felt like a giant push on my life's restart button and I wanted to share my journey. The road on that journey has taken a few unforeseen twists and turns, first colon cancer then recovering from alcoholism. The journey continues, I hope you'll join me from time to time as I share my travels to that passion-filled life that still calls to me.



Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Note to younger self ...

It's not often that I come across anything profound in a People magazine, but for their 40th Anniversary edition they asked some people to give advice to their younger self.  One in particular stood out and it's from Sharon Stone ... I'd like to share it with you.

"Dear Sharon, your life right now, full of all of its hard times and confusing times and times when you feel like you don't belong, is simply telling you that you are special.  Not just different, but special.  No two people are alike, no matter how much the world tries to blend everyone together and punish those who stand out and apart.  In fact, my darling child, the very things that make you different and apart are your gifts; they are what you will bring to the world.  They are what is the plan for the world, they are the wonder of you.  The shouts and confusion about 'why you just can't be like everybody else' will become the shouts of glory as you stand your ground and be exactly as God made you: just you, an individual in all of your little ways.  Carry that near your heart in your alone times, now and always, and toughen up kid.  These tough times will make you strong enough for what is to come.  I love you.  And God loves you."

I don't know about you, but that really struck a chord in me.  Not only is it gentle, but it's extremely meaningful ... how often do we beat ourselves up and criticize ourselves for not being "just like everyone else", when in fact, that which sets us apart from others IS the gift that we bring the world.  It is our differences, not our need to be the same, that makes us special.  And we are ALL special, as Sharon says "in all of our little ways".    What I also like about this message to a younger self is that it's not full of harshness or meanness, it's loving and it's nurturing.  What a beautiful way to speak to a younger version of ourselves, who still lives inside of us, and is most likely still looking for acceptance and love.   We can give ourselves, all of our selves, past & present, that love and acceptance we are/were looking for, which most human beings are looking for.  And I think by doing so, we can heal those broken places inside us so that we can move into tomorrow without all that baggage weighing us down, doing any further damage to our lives and those we share it with.

Just my thoughts for today, thanks for listening. Hugs




No comments:

Post a Comment