Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis

Welcome!

I started this blog in 2010 as I began the process of figuring out how to have a more passion-filled life, leaving my corporate job in search of something more fulfilling. It felt like a giant push on my life's restart button and I wanted to share my journey. The road on that journey has taken a few unforeseen twists and turns, first colon cancer then recovering from alcoholism. The journey continues, I hope you'll join me from time to time as I share my travels to that passion-filled life that still calls to me.



Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Food obsessions


So I just noticed something - A significant difference in my body when I ate an orange versus when I ate maple syrup (aka sugar).  

You may not know this about me, but I don't just have an addiction to alcohol, I also have an addiction to sugar.  And like alcohol, I have no shut off valve with sugar and it's really, really bad for me.  My whole life I wondered what the heck people meant by a "sugar high" ... all I've ever gotten from sugar (in any form other than fruit) is an instant feeling of lethargy & fatigue, a racing pulse & pounding heart.  However, once I get it in me, all I want is more, and more, and more.  And with each bite, I feel worse, and worse, and worse.  Once I've gotten it out of my system, I don't crave it ... but it's that "getting it out of my system" that is challenging.  Exactly how my alcohol addiction behaves, exactly.  

So tonight I told myself I could have a spoonful of almond butter with maple syrup (I know, weird combo but there it is :-) ) if I had an orange first.  I ate the orange, relished it's cool sweet juiciness.  I felt the sensation of freshness, of being refreshed, and of lightness.  Then I ate the almond butter/maple syrup combo, and felt heavy, burdened and my heart started pounding.  One food left me  feeling light, the other left me feeling heavy.  Hmmmmm, I really like having that comparison in my head next time I reach for one versus the other.  

Aaaand, I notice when I put a citrus essential oil in my drinking water (Tangerine, Orange, Lemon or Grapefruit) I don't have those sugar cravings!!  Happy observation.  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment